5 Things you should do if you have Whiplash or Neck Pain after a Car Accident
No one should ever have to deal with a car accident, but the fact is that we can all end up in some trouble sometimes. So, what are 5 things you should do if you have whiplash or neck pain after a car accident?
Moe Bodyworks’ very own Nick Anderson has some answers.
If you’re having neck pain or suffering from whiplash after a car accident, call us today to book your free consultation!
- Documentation is key. After any kind of Car Accident you want to make sure everything is documented and the best way to do that is with a police report. Sure, if there are no serious injuries the police typically don’t like being called but it is part of their job. If all you do is exchange insurance information with the person who rear-ended you, you may find out they actually didn’t have any coverage at the time of the accident. They may even tell their insurance company that it was all your fault. Oh and guess what, that address you wrote down from their license was actually from 2 moves ago. Now you are left with Neck Pain and bills and there is nothing you can do about it.
- If you have any Neck Pain after a Car Accident you need to see a Medical Professional like a Chiropractor. Our Minnesota’s very own Mayo clinic says “See your doctor if you experience any neck pain or other whiplash symptoms following a car accident or traumatic injury”. What is Whiplash and what are Whiplash Symptoms? Chiropractors are specialists of the spine and you never need a referral to see a Chiropractor.
- If you have pain you NEED to inform your insurance company. Wait, but won’t that increase my insurance premiums? No your insurance rates will on only go up if you were deemed to be “at fault”. An insurance company is not able to increase your rates because you make a claim no fault benefits.
- Ice Ice Baby! No listening to Vanilla ice won’t help that Whiplash or Neck pain go away but when you have acute pain, ice is the only way to go. Some people say to use heat because it feels good and ice is too cold, but think about this, have you ever seen an athlete use heat on a painful shoulder or knee right after a game, neither have I. Ice will help keep that pesky inflammation down and subsequently keep any swelling and pain at bay, at least for now. This is the perfect time to schedule an appointment and see your Chiropractor.
- Avoid the medications if possible. No I am not one of those Chiropractors who makes it a daily goal to bash medication, but they do mask the pain and if you don’t follow the directions on the bottle they may create a whole host of other problems. Pain is there for a purpose and that purpose is to tell you loud and clear DON’T DO THAT! If that message is masked and you continue to “do that” you will only make the injury worse and recovery will be a longer road. The only exceptions in my opinion are at night when we are asleep and healing and when you just have to get things done like if you are a busy parent. But even then you are better off seeing a professional like your Chiropractor.
We hope you found this blog on 5 Things you should do if you have Whiplash or Neck Pain after a Car Accident useful.
Please leave your comments and tell us how we can help you!